This Railway Company was formed in 1846 and from 1859 took over the operations of the former Mold Railway which had been linked to the Chester and Holyhead Railway. In addition to providing railway links around Mold the L&NWR also operated motor bus services. In fact it first ran a number of horse-bus services in the latter part of the 19th Century.
July 1905 saw the first motor bus service in North Wales and the route was between Connah's Quay and Mold visiting Flint and Northop. The second service was a real test for the bus involved as it travelled up the Well Hill (gradient of 1 in 9) from between the the station on the main line between Chester and Rhyl to the centre of the town of Holywell. At this time the branch line had not been constructed and did not open until 1912. A further service was introduced in 1906 between Mold and Holywell via Halkyn.
The buses used were both double deck (open top) and single deck and were initially kept at a garage under the arches at Holywell Station. In 1912 the service between Holywell Station and Holywell Town was withdrawn after the branch line opened. The bus depot was then transferred to Mold. A service was also run between Mold and Buckley.
Another route that was started in 1910 was between Colwyn Bay and Old Colwyn using a double deck vehicle with 32 seats which was garaged at the Llandudno Junction station. Further routes followed down the Conwy valley in 1911 from Llanrwst to Penmachno, via Bettws-y-Coed and Conway Falls with evening journeys extended to Cwm for the benefit of local miners. In 1913 a service was established between Llanrwst and Abergele and the buses on this service was garaged at Llangernyw. In 1913 the last depot in Wales to be opened was at Holyhead and the bus here ran a service to Rhoscolyn.
The company also operated motor buses from Euston station together with area of Staffordshire, Watford and Tring.
The Great War resulted in a large amount of the services being withdrawn as the buses were commandeered. Most service ended in 1915 but a few involving essential workers continued until 1917. In Wales this was only between Betws Y Coed and Cwm.
The bus service did not resume after the end of the War.