The business was founded in 1898 initially as a haulage business by Edward Jones. As paraffin oil was one of the significant items carried the business has since been known as 'Jones the Oil'. The business developed into motorised vehicles and by adding seats to the lorries - passengers were carried.
The works bus services to John Summers and Courtaulds were sold to Crosville in 1936 but the business continued throughout the war and developed to include funeral and wedding cars, a petrol station, car sales (new and used) under the leadership of Gwilym, son of Edward.
The bus and coach part of the business resumed in 1950 with the purchase of a Bedford OB.
The business established a holiday company 'Jones Holidays' involving various U.K. and European tours. In 2011 whilst Jones Motor Services still ran the holiday business the vehicles and drivers undertaking the tours were provided by Alpine Travel although the feeder for the tours are provided by Jones mainly using the minibuses. In January 2017 the holiday business was sold to Alpine in Llandudno. They now operate the booking office in Flint and the coaches used retain the blue Jones Holidays livery with a new logo which is similar to the new alpine logo.
The business has been run by the 3rd generation of the Jones family, Alun, for a number of years but in March 2018 he decided to retire.
A heritage vehicle – JCK892 - a Leyland Tiger Cub / Burlingham Seagull, was owned for some 40 years and was often seen in various rallies. This was sold last year to Ensign for further preservation.
Sadly Alun passed away in May 2019. He will be sadly missed